A Travellerspoint blog

Ahipara - Day Two

semi-overcast 13 °C

We’ve decided to spend another night here so we can take part in horseback riding along the beach this afternoon. So we spent the morning vegetating and catching up on miscellaneous tasks before setting out in the early afternoon for our horse trek. We were introduced to our partners for the afternoon; Tom was on ‘Honey’ while Chrissy hung out with ‘Star’. After getting settled in we set out for the beach. Tom’s horse quickly passed all the others to get in the front, a trend that continued for the remainder of the journey. Chrissy’s decided it was hungry and didn’t want to go for a walk so instead the two of them munched on some grass.

When we all (eventually) made it to the sand and surf, we set off along 90 Mile Beach. Honey led the group confidently while Star was skittish of the incoming surf and was more intent on eating the sand than continuing. Before long, our guide decided it was time to trot, which Tom did so enthusiastically, and the rest of the group (Chrissy plus the couple from the UK) cowered at the thought of our horses going any faster than a plod. Star however had different ideas and sporadically would break out into a canter and left Chrissy freaked at the thought of falling off. Tom is happy to report however that Chrissy did eventually tackle her free of cantering and did let Star go faster than a plod.

The next obsticle came when we had to leave the beach to get to the sand dunes behind. This entailed heading up a steep embankment and then down the other side. It was an almost vertical climb (Man from Snowy River) to which Star was pysched to gallop up (Chrissy was terrified) and Honey was choked that she was the last horse to go up and promptly had a fit. The ride amongst the dunes was punctuated by one of the guide’s horse getting away from him and galloping towards the rest of us. We made it back to the beach sans injuries or any more escaped horses where Tom got to live out one of his dreams: galloping flat out along the beach. Chrissy was completely content with her plod. Star was happy later on however as Chrissy allowed him to canter for longer than 30 seconds while Honey regained the lead.

Once back at the pasture, the pain began to set in and we hobbled back to the van for the drive back to the campground. Once back in our site, we hit up the hot showers before settling in for dinner & a movie courtesy of TV 2. On a side note, we are both totally in love with televised movies here as the network doesn’t cut anything out and shows the movie as a whole (with some commercials). As well, Tom is trying to break Chrissy’s tea addiction that is being met with little success. Will keep you all posted on that success rate as it progresses….

Posted by tc2009 03:10 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint