A Travellerspoint blog


overcast 12 °C

As our shuttle was due at 7am, we woke up for 5.30 and were ready to go at 6.30. Making breakfast, we noticed that the two gentlemen joining us in the kitchen were still swigging back their beers and appeared to have been going since last night. This would be the hostel side of the hotel coming out. We lugged our bags out to the curb and waited. And waited. 7.15am and we are still waiting. Tom went to find out where the shuttle was and instead found out there was no booking for us at 7am. Great, our flight leaves at 9am, it takes 30minutes to get there and going at this rate, we are going to be the ones they have to hold the flight for as we race through security and jump over children/baggage/elderly passengers and arrive gasping for breathe at our gate and dirty looks from our fellow plane-mates.
This was not the case however disappointing it may be for all you readers, instead the front desk agent promptly called up a taxi who arrived in less than 5minutes and used his magic taxi driver skills to part the sea of traffic to ensure that we arrived with plenty of time to spare. We breezed thru security and made it to our gate just in time. There is even a rugby team on our flight that meant that Tom had to herd Chrissy onboard.

The flight to Sydney was boring and unfortunately all the movies are old and have been seen by both of us. On the flip side, the breakfast was good! To get into Sydney has changed since the last time Chrissy was here. Instead of the plane being fumigated inside and out, passengers are now subjected to something even worse: PAPERWORK. We filled out paperwork for customs, immigration, ministry of health, and passenger locator forms. When all is said and done, we both have developed a nasty bout of carpal tunnel.

After clearing customs/immigration/health authority, we picked up our rental car which seems bigger than the one we booked but apparently it is the size we booked so never fear, off we go! Chrissy is pysched to be driving again and before long, we were on the freeway (speed limit of 110!!!) and cruising our way up to Canberra.

The drive was long but soon we were in Canberra and at our hotel. After a quick clean up, we called up Anne & Glen, Chrissy’s host family from her previous Australia excursion, and after a happy reunion we headed towards the federal parliament. Glen was eager to play with his new camera so we became the models of the day. However, a wedding party was having their photos taken outside parliament and the bride seemed especially Bridezilla like. How could we tell? Well, the bridesmaids were all dressed in wild, wild west classy saloon girls while the bride was decked out in 2009 fashion. Ouch!

There wasn’t enough time to explore all of Parliament, so after a quick glance around (and being herded out by security) we decided to come back tomorrow to see more. We went for dinner at a steak house, which was delicious, and afterwards wandered about the city for a bit. Our wanderings took us past the statue of an “…interesting…” sheep statue and ended at a little café where we filled our little table with teapots, cups, cutlery, water glasses, and plates which were filled with super delicious cakes, pies, and puddings.

After dessert, we made our way back to the car and then on to Glen’s house were we chilled out for a bit before making our way back to the hotel. We collapsed into bed and were asleep before our head hit the pillow.

Posted by tc2009 15:03 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint